dct in Exeter, Devon

Community Care Statistics - Social Services Activity, England 2015-16

The Community Care Statistics report is a long-standing annual publication. This is only the second year that the new data were collected using Short and Long Term Services data (SALT), which tracks the client journey through the adult social care system in England. It also reports on the Primary Support Reason why the individual requires social care support.

For SALT, the routes of access are Transition, Discharge from Hospital, Diversion from Hospital Services and through the Community.

For SALT, the sequels are Short Term Support to Maximise Independence (ST-Max, a range of services that are of short duration typically being provided for a few weeks with the explicit aim of trying to minimise the person’s use of ongoing social care services), Long Term Support, End of Life care, Ongoing low level support, Other Short Term Support, Universal Services, or No services provided.

Depending on the set up at the Local Authority, these requests may be received directly into Adult Social Care departments, via a contact centre handling all requests for support from the council, or a mixture of both.


Key findings

  • There were 1,811,000 requests for support from new clients, which had reached the stage of having a known sequel during the reporting period. 28 per cent of these were from clients aged 18-64, with the remaining 72 per cent from clients aged 65 and over. 
  • 57 per cent of requests for support resulted in no direct support from the council. This was split between 524,000 requests resulting in Universal Services/Signposted to other services and 515,000 requests resulting in no identified needs.
  • 24 per cent of requests for support for new clients aged 65 and over came through the Discharge from Hospital route of access (compared to eight percent of requests from 18-64 year olds). 
  • Approximately a third (115,000) of 361,000 new clients with route of access Discharge from Hospital had ST-Max as the outcome to their request for support. Nine per cent (91,000) of 992,000 new clients aged 65 and over with routes of access other than Discharge from Hospital had ST-Max as the outcome to their request for support. 
  • There were 209,000 completed instances of ST-Max for new clients. Over half (54 per cent) received ST-Max following a Discharge from Hospital. Of these, 41 per cent had no further needs identified (compared to 38 per cent of all completed ST-Max for new clients).
  • The majority of clients (71 per cent) have a Primary Support Reason of Physical Support: Personal Care Support.
  • There were 36,000 completed instances of ST-Max for existing clients. 45 per cent of these saw the client returning to Long Term Support.
  • There were 873,000 clients receiving long term support during the reporting period. 652,000 were still accessing long term support at year end, and of these, 482,000 had been accessing long term support for more than 12 months.
  • 44 per cent of clients accessing Long Term Support in a Community setting at year end had a carer identified.
  • 86,000 clients were accessing Long term Support (Nursing) in 2015-16; this is unchanged from 2015-16. There were 190,000 clients accessing Residential support throughout the year.
  • The most common Primary Support Reason for clients aged 18-64 was Learning Disability Support (for 45 per cent of clients), and for clients aged 65 and over it was Physical Support: Personal Care Support (for 63 per cent of clients).  
  • 55 per cent of clients who have been accessing long term support for more than 12 months at the year-end were reviewed (planned or unplanned) during the year. Under the Care Act guidance there is an expectation that reviews take place “no later than every 12 months”.
  • The most likely outcome of a review, across both planned and unplanned reviews, is that there is no change in Long Term Support. 147,000 planned reviews (49 per cent) and 50,000 unplanned reviews (51 per cent) resulted in no change.
  • There were 387,000 carers in contact with the council, of whom 314,000 (81 per cent) received direct support. There were also 57,000 instances of respite or other support delivered to the cared-for person.
  • A third of carers in contact with the council (131,000) did not receive a review or assessment during the year.
  • Over half the carers in contact with the council (53 per cent) are aged 18-64. Nine per cent (35,000 carers) are aged over 85.